Wednesday 10 December 2014

Danse Macabre

It always surprises me how many fans of Stephen King have either never heard of this book or have never read it - by choice. True, I put it off for quite awhile, but I don't think if I'd read it when I was 14 I would have fully appreciated it, let alone actually finished it. But it's King's final statement on the matter of horror vs. society, and it is essential reading for King - and horror - fans.

King visited the main theme of this book in his introduction for the short story collection, Night Shift, and I think he was quite surprised at how many people loved it. That introduction then spurred on his editor at the time to suggest that King expand on it and make it into a full book, which he eventually did, after some years of indecision. I'm glad he did it.

I've always wished I could have attended one of King's lectures on literature and horror fiction, so I see Danse Macabre as the closest I will ever get to that. And it feels like it, but in the best way: we're all just sitting around, drinking beer and discussing horror and shit. Maybe there's one of the old B-movies on in the background, and we're making jibes on it. Yeah, it was fun to imagine that, and even funner to read what King's thoughts on all of that are.

As this was published in 1981, it is ever so slightly dated, but I forgave it that as the details King puts in about all of the movies and novels and radio shows that comprise the guts of this book were so impressive as to make any misgivings you might have about it moot. There is the perfect mix of research and fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants thought-to-page processes here. I loved both, but I'll always savour the genuine moments of unplanned thought that King sometimes gifts us with.

I will say, this book won't be for everyone. I think you'll know it's your thing before you start reading it, and if you're that person, you'll have a great time reading it. If not, though, don't worry; the novels and stories are more than enough to be getting on with.

Also published on Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment